Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Top Ten Books I Just Had To Buy ... But Are Still Sitting On My Shelf



'Top Ten Tuesday' is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is a Freebie - choose anything that you want. I decided to base my list off one of their past topics: Top Ten Books I Just Had To Buy ... But Are Still Sitting On My Shelf

 1. The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz 
I honestly can't even remember how long ago I picked this book up (many, many years!), but I still haven't read it. I've heard good things and it's not that I don't want to read it, I just haven't found the time yet. 

2. Jane Austen Novels 
Own them all, have only read Pride and Prejudice. 

3. Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin 
I heard about this book while listening to the radio years ago, and bought it probably the next time that I was at the book store. I remember starting it a one point, but the timing just wasn't right and I abandoned it after a few pages. 

4. Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness 
I actually bought the complete trilogy at the time, thinking I would re-read the first two novels and then finally read the final instalment. All three spines remain uncracked. 

5. UnWholly by Neal Shusterman 
Oh man was I excited for this one! I re-read Unwind in preparation and then a million things sort of came up at once and I never made it past the second chapter. THIS SUMMER THOUGH! 

6. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
Yeah. I know. This book is 1000+ pages, yet I NEEDED it immediately. I honestly wonder how many decades this book might sit on the shelf before I get to it. 

7. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier 
I asked for Rebecca for Christmas this year, yet still haven't read it. I feel a lot worse when I ask for a book, receive it, and then let it sit around for a while... 

8. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
A strong desire to read LotR came over me when I spotted a box set at Costco, a year ago. This desire promptly left after said box set was purchased. At least my dad's got some use out of the books! 

9. The Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell 
I was going to read this one before the movie came out ... 

10. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Really anything by Margaret Atwood. I'll purchase, loving place in alphabetical order on my shelves, and then forget. 

What book has been gathering dust on your shelf? 

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, really?? You HAVE to read the whole Chaos Walking series, UNWHOLLY, and LOTR. They are all wonderful books. Don't put them off any longer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of this sitting on my shelf as well. I finally read Cloud Atlas last year, and Infinite Jest is one of my goals for the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...