Tuesday, August 21, 2012

'Top Ten Favourite Books I've Read During the Lifespan of My Blog



'Top Ten Tuesday' is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is 'Top Ten Favourite Books You've Read During the Lifespan of Your Blog'. Because I have only been blogging on blogger for a couple of months, I've decided to use the timespan I've been on tumblr. This means that the below are the top ten books that I've read since August 2011 to present. (I've also decided not to include any novels that I have re-read during this period of time). 

1. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
I found The Knife of Never Letting Go both surprising and enjoyable. Set in New World, in a town with dark secrets, but where everyone can hear everyone's else's thoughts, we join Todd and Viola as they run for their lives. Different than some of the other dystopian trilogies that have been popping up as of late, The Knife of Never Letting Go is nevertheless equally satisfying. 

2. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
I really enjoyed If I Stay and found my self captivated by the story and characters. I think this is a really good example of how young-adult contemporary romance novels can be complex and thought-provoking. I found this novel to be heart-breakingly beautiful and don't want to say anything more out of fear of spoiling the novel. 

3. Insurgent by Veronica Roth 
The highly anticipated sequel to Divergent, Insurgent proved to be worth the wait. I really enjoyed Roth's second novel in the trilogy and was so (SO!) thankful that she decided not to employ the dread love triangle that seems to be so popular in YA trilogies these days. 

4. The Handmaiden's Tale by Margaret Atwood
This was my first Atwood novel, and I throughly enjoyed it. Set in the futuristic dystopian society of the Republic of Gilead, our protagonist is only valued for her fertility. This book is a great transition novel for readers who enjoy YA dystopian literature, but are looking to expand their reading horizon's into adult fiction. 

5. The Fault in our Stars by John Green
This novel does not only make this top ten list, but possibly my top ten books of all time. The Fault in our Stars is a modern day classic and truly a beautiful novel. 

6. Gone by Michael Grant 
I picked this novel up in hopes that it would be a new series that I could fall in love with - similar to The Hunger Games Trilogy. The Gone series proved to be a good replacement. When everyone over the age of 15 disappears, the children left must someone survive. A modern day Lord of the Flies with some science-fiction elements, the Gone series is fast-paced, horrifying and interesting.  

7. Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma 
A controversial young-adult novel that explores the forbidden love between brother and sister. I think that this novel handled this subject very appropriately and that it was very interesting and heart-breaking novel. Suzuma crossed boundaries and was very daring in tackling this taboo subject 

8. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern 
I really enjoyed being immersed into the story of The Night Circus. Containing magic, love, and beautiful sensorial writing, Morgenstern brings to life the Le Cirque des Rêves.

9. Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell
A protagonist to rival the brave and badass heroines found in YA dystopian novels (see: Katniss, and Tris). But, Ree Dolly of Woodrell's Winter's Bone is fighting the reality of poverty in the Ozark Mountains of Missouri. An inspiring female 
protagonist that is brave and courageous. 

10. The Importance of being Ernest by Oscar Wilde 
The Importance of Being Ernest was such a funny, short and approachable classic. Sometimes books that are called 'classics' or that are written by famous authors can be intimidating. This is not the case with Ernest. I laughed out loud and highly recommend this novel. Plus, you have no excuse not to read this as you can find it for free to download to your computer or e-reader. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved Insurgent, The Knife of Never Letting Go & The Night Circus. A few more of the titles on your list are books I want to read, so I'm excited to see that you liked them.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you end up liking them too! I would really recommend The Handmaiden's Tale by Margaret Atwood and The Fault in our Stars by John Green, both are sooo good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...