Sunday, June 24, 2012

Book Review: Sarah’s Key

Title: Sarah’s Key
Author: Tatiana de Rosnay
Genre: Adult fiction, contemporary, historical fiction
Publisher: Martin's Press 
Publication Date: June 12, 2007

Synopsis: Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten year-old girl, is brutally arrested with her family by the French police in the Vel’ d’Hiv’ roundup, but not before she locks her younger brother in a cupboard in the family’s apartment, thinking that she will be back within a few hours.
Paris, May 2002: On Vel’ d’Hiv’s 60th anniversary, journalist Julia Jarmond is asked to write an article about this black day in France’s past. Through her contemporary investigation, she stumbles onto a trail of long-hidden family secrets that connect her to Sarah. Read more..

Review: My general rule for books to movies is: read the book, evaluate trailer, and then maybe go see the movie. For Sarah’s Key I was unable to follow this rule. I had never even heard of the book or movie, Sarah’s Key, until I was waiting in line to see the movie, last September, at the Toronto International Film Festival. My dad had received tickets through work, and while waiting in line to get in, I discovered that the movie was based on the novel by the same name. Seeing the movie before reading the novel, I feel changed the way I read and felt about the novel.

First things first then, I loved the movie. I can not express how amazing this film was. It was possibly the best movie I have ever seen in my life, and recommend it to everyone I know. It was brutal and beautiful all at once. From the acting to the pacing of the film, it was prefect. Basically: EVERYTHING ABOUT IT WAS AMAZING. SEE THIS MOVIE.

After seeing this film I went out and bought the book, and inhaled it. Unfortunately I felt that the book fell short of the film. Don’t get me wrong, the book was very good, and I enjoyed it. In the novel the story alternates from Sarah’s story in 1942 to Julia’s in 2002, every other chapter, for approximately the first half of the book. Following the stories this way was nice, because it provided the reader with a break form Sarah’s story, which at times, was heartbreaking, disturbing and revolting. Nothing involving the conditions of the stadium, where the Jews were held, to the treatment in the transition camp was glossed over. Although Julia’s story was interesting, I was always eager to get back to Sarah’s and was disappointed when halfway through the novel, the chapters remained in the year 2002 with Julia. After this switch I felt that the story started to slow down slightly.  
This novel was very well written, and captivating. The novel was written in a way the drove the reader to continue. Even when the 1942 story stopped, it continued on with Julia. I was constantly reading to find out more about what had happened to Sarah. The reason why I rated the novel 4.0 and not 5.0 was that I felt at times it did not flow as well as I would have liked between the chapters. Nevertheless I would highly recommend giving it a read, and I cannot stress how amazing the film adaptation is.

I rarely enjoy the film adaptations of books, so this is not something I usually say. In addition I usually do not cry during movies. When I am the viewer and not the reader, I feel very conscious of my distance from the story. Additionally I feel that movies are rarely able to capture the emotions of a situation and affect my feelings. Because of this, I was very surprised that while watching Sarah’s Key, I don’t think I stopped crying after the third scene. Last week my father and I went and saw the film again. I was very apprehensive that film would not be as amazing the second time, or emotionally affecting. It was even better. Read the book and see the film, that’s all I have to say.

Warning: Stock up on tissues!
You might also enjoy: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak or the The Help by Kathryn Stockett
My Rating:  4.0/5.0, but 10.0/5.0 for the film!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...