Sunday, July 01, 2012

Book Review: One Day


Title: One Day 
Author: David Nicholls
Genre: Adult fiction, contemporary, romance
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication Date: August 1, 2009

Synopsis: It’s 1988 and Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley have only just met. But after only one day together, they cannot stop thinking about one another. Over twenty years, snapshots of that relationship are revealed on the same day—July 15th—of each year. Dex and Em face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself. Read more...

Review: One Day by David Nicholls was recommended to me by a friend and I decided to pick it up and read over my winter holidays, in December. After I had read the description I was expecting a light chick-lit story. What I got was even better. One Dayis a raw, realistic novel, with two lovable characters: Dex and Em. (Or in Dexter’s case sometimes, a character you love to hate). 

One of the things that I loved most about this novel was that each chapter was just one day, July 15th, but over a period of years. For example chapter 1: July 15th 1988, chapter 2: July 15th1989, etc, for twenty years. When I first discovered this, I was a little apprehensive. I thought that maybe each chapter would really just become a summarization of the year between the July 15ths. I am happy to report though that Nicholls struck a fantastic balance between catching the reader up on what had taken place in the last year, and what was actually taking place on that July 15th. I loved reading and following the story this way, and felt that this made the novel more realistic. Just like in real life, not everyday for is memorable or changes our life. Similarly, with Emma and Dexter, not every July 15ths was significant, and many were just another mundane day. Some years, Emma and Dexter did not even spend in one another’s company. I thought this was a very realist element of the novel, and made me enjoy it even more.

Both Dexter and Emma were complex and relatable characters. Although this novel would be classified as a romance, I felt that it was unlike any other “romantic” novel that I had read. One Day did not have that kind of perfect, ‘everything works out’ quality to it, that one sees in others. If you are looking for a ‘happily ever after’ romance, I do not recommend this novel. But, if you are looking for a novel that is realistic, sweet, sad, and thought provoking I highly recommend One Day. What One Dayis, is something that a reader doesn’t see very often – a realistic romance. Go read One Day, and discover the significance of July 15th for Em & Dex.   

Note: While I recommend the novel, I felt that the movie based on the book fell short of capturing the essence of the novel. While the one chapter – one day structure in the book was lovely and an interesting way to present this story, this idea did not translate well to the screen. The movie was discombobulated, and lacking a certain feeling that was present in the novel. The movie felt broken up too much, I felt that the beginning was slow, and some July 15ths, were only mere moments upon the screen.

Warning: Read the novel, skip the movie.
You might also enjoy: The Time Traveller’s Wifeby Audrey Niffenegger or Atonement by Ian McEwan
My Rating:  5.0/5.0
P.S. I love the cover design of this novel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...