Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Top Ten Books That Made Me Think



'Top Ten Tuesday' is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is 'Top Ten Books That Make You Think (About The World, 
People, Life, etc.)'. I don't know if I will be able to find ten, but here we go:


1. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank. When I was younger every year we would travel to visit my grandparents at Christmas. And, every year I would listen to The Diary of a Young Girl audiobook (on cassette tape!). I really loved this book and it made an impact on me at even a young age. I couldn't imagine hiding for my life, have someone want to kill me because of who I was. I think this book is enlightening, inspirational and heartwarming. But, I also think that it is important to remember the Anne Frank was simply a young girl living in 1942 Holland. 


2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. When I first read The Hunger Games I was really obsessed with thinking about and exploring the ways in which power and privilege are distributed in our world, the ways in which control is utilized in society (by governments, media, individuals, etc) and how these topics play out on a global sphere. These were things that I was generally becoming more and more aware about - through my studies at university, maturing as a person and other books. The Hunger Games offered an opportunity to disengage from the world around me and still explore these themes and ideas. Additionally, it was easy to see the similarities between Panem and the society that we live in today. Although a young-adult novel, for me, The Hunger Games  helped further illuminate the horrific events that take place in our society, but that as first world citizens we may turn a blind eye to, just like the citizens of the capital.   


3. Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by how people get what they want, or need, especially when other people want or need the same thing". Don't be intimidated by the title's illusion to economics, no math is needed when reading this book!    

"What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person." (John Green, Paper Towns). 
Christopher McCandless and his quest to leave the society of material goods, conformity and duty. Although I don't aspire to follow in McCandless' footsteps, his story did remind me of the fragility of life, my own materialism and to think about whether my life decisions and choices are things that I truly want, or was told to want.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...